In life: nothing risked is nothing gained.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Thoughts of Florence.

   It is a city. But a small one. There is no grass unless you go to a park. I suppose it is the same in downtown Tulsa. The streets are slightly hard to walk on because they are all cobblestone. Praise be to the ladies who walk here in heels. I have only fallen once. :)

  There is a club underneath our apartment. Annoying no matter where you live. There is an amazing sandwich shop riiiight down the street. I call it the Italian subway. It is delish.

   There is a lot of shopping opportunities in Florence. Too bad I don't have any money. But I did buy a nice leather bag. Great for weekend trips to where ever my little heart desires, which means mostly the lake.

   The older generation here seems so be so much more in love than back home. I don't really know why that is. I notice when older (like 80 years) couples are still holding hands and things such as that. There is way more of it here and I really enjoy seeing it.

   There are gypsies here. I like them. They are annoying but if you just ignore them and give them a second glance when they aren't looking they are really a sight to see. You dont see people back home shoving a cup in your face and giggling the money around. Sometimes they will just stand there with the cup in your face until you give them money. I haven't yet.

   The people here are just people. No different from in the US. Except you don't ever see anyone wearing a t-shirt. Some seem to be rude but I am told its just the way Italians are. Im trying really hard to blend in. And although I want to take pictures of everything I try not to have my camera around my neck - its not the Italian way I suppose. I can almost immediately pick out tourists and american students. They either have a camera around their neck or are in a large group. I now understand why some say that Europeans don't like Americans - it's because we are loud. If you go out at night (like midnight) there are very few Italians out. Mostly Americans and they are screaming drunk. I hate it.

   I FOUND A GROCERY STORE LAST NIGHT. Almost like a target but not. There is only food and shampoo. But it is suuuuuuuuuuuuuuper close to my house and has been under our noses this entire time. It's so nice to be able to walk down the street and get something you need. At home we have to drive everywhere. I'm really liking the fact that you dont need a car to get around Europe. I looooove it.

   I dont understand the bell schedule. The bells from the churches ring at weird times.We are next to the Piazza della Signoria which has a bell tower. On the other side of us is the Duomo which has bells too. See picture below.
  
  The tower on the left is the Piazza della Signoria, the actual building is an old palace of the Medici family, it is literally called the old palace, "Palazzo Vecchio". On the right side of the picture is the Duomo, or dome, it was the first of its kind. I am right in the middle of the two. Equal distance to either one.

  Florence is pretty chill. I like it so far. But I really want to visit the rolling hills of the country side and CANT WAIT for spring.
  
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment